Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Stay at Home Mom Chronicles: Being Han Solo

I'm realizing that my days around here seem to run together.
Ordinary moments unfold around me daily
and I need to stop and relish in them.
One day, my boys will be out living life
and I will miss these everyday experiences.

So, I am taking the time to document
the simple moments that pass between us.
I'm calling this little collection of memories
The Stay At Home Mom Chronicles.

<span class=

2:30 PM: Playing Star Wars Action Figures with Griffin

Sometimes while Koen takes his afternoon nap
Griffin and I will play together.
Lately we've been playing Star Wars.
It's actually really fun for me because I loved the
film Star Wars as a child.

Whenever we play, I insist on being Han Solo.
Griffin always lets me.
He has no choice.
For you to understand the importance of me being Mr. Solo
let me tell you
a little memory I have from my childhood.

When I was a little girl, I would play Star Wars with my older brother and his friends.
I always wanted to be Hahn Solo. He was just SO cool. I mean, he flew the Millennium Falcon and his best friend was a Wookie.

Sadly, they forced me to be Leia because I was the only girl.

<span class=

It sucked.

They would pretend that the neighbor's garage was the Death Star
and that a bean bag next to the lawnmower was my jail cell.
They would have the smelliest kid on the block be my guard.
I would just sit in the danky garage while all the boys were outside having Jedi battles.
If I tried to stand up, stinky ol' Ricky Weaver would push me back onto the bean bag
and yell
"SIT DOWN LEIA!"

I would sit in misery while the boys
wielded their plastic light sabers at one another
outside the garage on the driveway.
Why didn't I just get up and go play with my Barbies?
I may never understand why I continued to play with them.
Maybe it was the hope that I could
one day play the role of Han Solo.

Well, now I'm the grown up and no one
can force me to be Princess Leia.
Griffin doesn't even try to be Han Solo anymore.
He immediately and begrudgingly hands him over to me.

He can be Han Solo when he's a Dad
and he plays Star Wars with his kids.

You've gotta earn that privilege.

Disclaimer: Names have been changed to protect the innocent and smelly.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh teh perks of being mom.. I always loved Hans solo better too..

Dee at Pedestrian Palate said...

Good for you. Women are better mulititaskers anyway. You can fly the Millenium Falcon and simultaneously detangle Chewbacca's coat. A guy could never do that.

Unknown said...

He was hot too...

Lol I remember playing with the neighbor kids like that...and now I see my daughter just fight her way into what she wants and I think..why didn't I do that? Oh well....it was always more fun playing with the boys than with barbies!

Sarah RDH said...

hahaha my neighbor would always want to play house, and I always had to be the baby. And one time she even made me wear a diaper.

The Only Girl said...

Those are super cute Star Wars figures! Way cuter than the ones my boys have.

Tami G said...

ha ha
I always preferred to play with the boys over barbies when I was little too. They were more fun. They had sword fights, and played in the mud, and rode bikes etc.

and Yes - I tell my son on a regular basis..... "when YOU have kids, you can ________"
One of the few luxuries of being a parent! HA!

Alexandra said...

that's right, cuz you da man!

I always get my way when we play,too. how obnoxious.

CaneWife said...

Han Solo is the best!

Although I did think Princess Leia kicked some booty from time to time, but yeah, memories...

Bossy Betty said...

What a great idea! These days pass waaaaayyyy too quickly. I miss my friends, the action figures! They all thought I was really cute.

Susan Anderson said...

My kids always played Star Wars, too, with their dad. Oh, the battles they had! But my daughter refused to be the Princess.

=)

PS. She refused to play Barbies, too. heehee

Anonymous said...

That's too cute. I sometimes demand that I'm a certain character when I play with the kids too!

Caroline said...

Hahahaa! I LOVE it! We've earned the right to call the shots! :)

Yankee Girl said...

Playing Leia was no fun! When I was young I played Star Wars with my friends from my street. I was the only girl and they always put me in a make-shift cage and fought to rescue me. So all I did was sit there. So not fun!

Danielle said...

May the force be with you!!!!

w said...

sigh. i typed out a really good comment. and blogger ate it up. but it went something like...

you wanna be han solo because you know i'll fight you for leia. so. you've settled. and that's fine by me.

actually. this comment is much better. and i'm going to copy it just in case blogger eats this one, too.

Cathy said...

Yay for being Han Solo! Finally! I wish I had a Wookie as a best friend.

See Mom Smile said...

Not everyone can pull off Cinnabun hair. I would want to be Yoda. "the mom I am!"

Katherine said...

This is exactly what happened to me when we played "Ninja Turtles" as kids. Did I get to be Donatello? No. As the only girl, I had to be April (or what ever her name was.)

Vanessa said...

Was the bean bag supposed to be Jabba the Hut?

Unknown said...

so sweet! my brothers wouldn't let me near their Star Wars toys. Occasionally I got to play with Yoda or R2D2, but that was it.

furygirl3132 said...

Hans Solo was pretty cool! Happy Friday Follow, I am your newest follower, so glad to have found your great blog. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Eloise
Mommy2TwoGirls
http://mommy2twogirls.blogspot.com/