Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Stay at Home Mom Chronicles: Matinee Movie Gone Awry.

I'm realizing that my days around here seem to run together.
Ordinary moments unfold around me daily
and I need to stop and relish in them.
One day, my boys will be out living life
and I will miss these everyday experiences.

So, I am taking the time to document
the simple moments that pass between us.
I'm calling this little collection of memories
The Stay At Home Mom Chronicles.

Saturday 3:45 pm : Attempting to go to the Movies.

Over the last weekend we decided to take Griffin
on a little date to see the film How to Train Your Dragon in 3D.
We don't have a great track record when it comes to the movies.
We have walked out of every movie we have ever
attempted to see within moments of walking in.

Griffin swore up and down
that he was old enough now.
So...we dropped Koen off at my Mom's house
and headed to the theatre.

It was a big deal.

Photobucket
(Griffin before the movie)

There was excitement in the air and Griffin
felt so big and proud to get his very own
3D glasses, popcorn , and Sprite (which he never is allowed to drink).
We handed him the money as we waited in line and
he "paid" for us to get in.
We also handed him the tickets and he handed them to the
employee to tear as we walked into the lobby.
He even ordered his own snack at the concessions stand.
I could tell the he felt proud of himself
for being given so many adult tasks.

We headed into the theatre
well, I went in first to watch the previews
and then promised to come and get him and Dad
when the movie started.

Thank God because they showed the preview
to M. Night Shymalan's new movie
which looked scary as poo.
Anyway...Griffin filed into his seat as the movie started.
He freaked his freak!!!
It was too loud, too dark, and just too PG for him.

He announced that he was tired
and curled up in a little ball with his eyes closed
and his fingers crammed into his ears.
I reached over to pat him and the poor guy was shaking.

We left within five minutes of walking in.

Photobucket
(Griffin after we walked out of the movie, being forced to stop and pose again)

We were all grumpy as we left.
From the 3D movie tickets,
to the popcorn, and sodas that we purchased,
we blew $50 on a Matinee Movie gone awry.

We figured out that the entire experience
cost us a dollar a minute.

Someone won't be going to the Movies again
until a certain five year old turns seven!

19 comments:

Caroline said...

Oh I remember doing this to my parents when I was a child! I think my payback is coming soon! :))
Seriously, not only are most movies (even the G rated ones) too much for kids these days, the theaters are incredibly loud. I even get a little too jazzed out at some movies.
Griffin is SO cute in these pictures and I bet he'll always remember the intro part of the date, even if the movie didn't work out!

Mom24 said...

My youngest two, 9 and 7, just do not like going to the movies. It's so hard for me to accept, it was always such a huge treat for me when I was growing up. I wonder how it bodes for the industry that mine are perfectly content with the DVR, DVD's and On-Demand?

Unknown said...

ohhhh this happens to us sometimes too...depends on the movie...like if its animated we probably will not go because the big screen just makes it all too real...but real people doing outlandish things is okay...

I'm still figuring it allout...but probably won't figure it out at all..

Too bad movie night went awry...just remember it won't always be that way!

My Mercurial Nature said...

My son is just now to the point that he can sit through an entire movie without feeling overwhelmed (or antsy), and he's 9yrs old.

foxy said...

Oh MAN! Poor thing... he'll get there eventually. Better luck next time!

Carrie said...

I suspect neither one of my kids will see a movie in a theatre until they are in elementary school. I can't see either of them sitting still long enough. PLus, the cost of going to the movies is INSANE now.

We have more than enough DVD's to keep them entertained at home :)

Katherine said...

My dad took me to see Jack Nichalson in Batman when I was little. I still haven't forgiven him.

We thought about taking our little ones to see Train Your Dragon, but after reading a couple reviews that said it might be too scary for kids under 6, we're holding off. Although, can it really be worse than watching lions eat all manner of animals on those so-called educational shows we let them watch?

Unknown said...

Too cute! I love the boots and shorts. Did you at least stay to finish the popcorn? I hope it didn't go to waste.

Unknown said...

aww! that's so pitiful! He will probably be blogging about this moment twenty years from now.

Sarah RDH said...

hahaha you know what?? I was Griffin when I was a kid. I wasn't scared of things (EXCEPT for the witch or whatever she is in the little mermaid) but I could not stay awake past like 10 minutes into, I swear!! So my parents never took me to the theater.

My 4 yr old has gone once, to see the chipmunks squeakuel with his aunt & grandma, and reportedly did fine. But we are taking him to see Dragon on Sunday hopefully, so we'll see how this goes!

w said...

i love taking my girls to the movies. in the summer. when they offer free movies. yeah. because we walk right out, too.

Yankee Girl said...

I still do this sometimes. I always think that I can handle scary movies, so my husband and I buy tickets, but after the first scary part I am out of my seat and out the door.

Griffin looked cute in those glasses though!

Danielle said...

I laughed so hard that you made him pose after the experience. At least he looked adorable! :)

Richard said...

Blimey, a dollar a minute!

But still, that's such a cute story and the photos are awesome!

I'm trying to remember the first time I went to the movies... and I think it was Return of the Jedi when I was seven.

I remember at the time wanting to go to the cinema before then, but looking back, I bet I'd have been just like Griffin! :)

Vanessa said...

The Husband doesn't mind us going to the movies with our girls -- but that's because he's not the one who chases after the 3-year-old and takes her out to the bathroom where she immediately decides she doesn't have to go. *sigh*

A couple of theaters here used to have morning movies that were for kids -- lights not all the way down, sound not all the way up. I think some still do. And they were always cheaper!

Jenny said...

We had the same experience with that same movie. The dragons were scary, loud and mean. Except we took my 3yo and 6yo. The 6yo was fine, the 3yo kept taking his glasses off (which I think may make him blind, watching a 3D movie without the glasses) so balls of fire and rocks weren't flying in his face and he went to the bathroom 5 times. Ugh.. LEsson learned. Maybe we will have better luck with Toy Story 3...

KristinFilut said...

That's such a bummer. The Girl still has a hard time sitting thru an entire movie. It is all so overstimulating. Movies at home are truly the best.

Ms Martyr said...

Earplugs - the orange/pink colored ones they sell in sporting goods. I keep a couple of pair in my purse so I always have them with me. I consider myself somewhat hearing impaired and I can't handle the volume in theaters so it must be overwhelming for a child.

Anonymous said...

HE LOOKS FREAKIN ADORABLE IN THOSE SHADES!! Ahhaahahha. I love it!