Friday, October 29, 2010

This is a true story.

It was a balmy night in San Antonio, Texas
and as my car barrelled through the night,
all of the passengers in the car sat in silence.
We were all building up our courage to visit the Ghost Tracks.

The story is the stuff of urban legend...
the tale of an intersection of roadway and railroad track that is haunted.
In the 1930s a school bus full of children
stalled on the railroad tracks and a train crashed into the bus.
10 children died as well as the bus driver on that day.

Legend says that the spirit of the children linger
near the tracks and if a car stops in front of the tracks
that they will push your car over the tracks to safety.
To add to the spookiness of this
paranormal phenomena,
folks say that if you cover the back of the car
and rear bumper with baby powder that you will see tiny fingerprints.
No doubt, prints from the dead children.

My friends and I were just crazy enough
to put this urban legend to the test.
We pulled the car up to the intersection
that was seemingly on an upward slant.
The car was put into neutral 30 yards from the railroad tracks.

We sat in silence until one of us would giggle
then we would all shoosh and smack each other to be quiet.
A few of us jumped out of the car
and braved the silent darkness
to put the baby powder on the back of the car
and then ran back in the car squealing.

Then we sat idling before the tracks.
I turned off the engine and put the car in neutral.
As I took my foot off of the gas,
I could feel my heart beating in my neck
I was so scared.

Suddenly, the car started to move forward.
We all gasped as we gained momentum
and went steadily over the bump,
then over the tracks,
and down on the other side.

Once the car stopped,
we all took turns screaming and freaking out.
Did we dare get out of the car to see if the fingerprints were there?
We made a pact to all get of the car together to look.

Armed with a flashlight,
I shined the light on the bumper to find
tiny fingerprints all over the back of my car.
No lie, there were little bitty hand prints all over the place.

We all screamed again and bumped into one another
as we scrambled to get back in the car.
I drove like a bat out of hell
and never looked back.


Don't believe me?
Watch this...

Scary Story - San Antonio Ghost Tracks

Scary | Myspace Video


Have a Happy Halloween!!!


P.S. I am featured today over at Be@Home.
Please click here to stop by and say hello!

13 comments:

R Montalban said...

What a great post, I think you are just so wonderful Leigh, and I thought of you yesterday as I dressed my boy for Halloween! Hope you like his photos!!!!

Unknown said...

This is too funny that you posted this. My Step-Dad lived in Texas in his early years and has told this story to me a thousand times. I want to visit the tracks someday!

R Montalban said...

Well done you on being featured, you see everyone thinks you are wonderful....

Unknown said...

You need to come to KY we have all sorts of haunted places around here seriously... I would have peed my pants in the car.. yep I would have

Cluttered Brain said...

OMG! That is freaky scary.
Yikes!
At least they are helpful spirits...
And that one girl spirit who got in that ladies car...WOW.
I would have flipping peed my pants...
Jeez.
GReat post Leigh!

Unknown said...

Leigh, I really enjoy your blog. I'm also a stay at home mom to 2 little ones and relate to so much of what you write. This is a great piece on the ghost tracks..I gotta repost. I'm actually taking my hubby there tomorrow for his 1st time!! :) happy halloween!

Susan Anderson said...

What a cool story! Loved it!

=)

PS. Come check out my new Halloween story-poem. It's downright creepy, too!

A Halloween Tale of Terror

Caroline said...

I'm too freaked out to play the video!!!! That is super scary and I am even more spooked out by the fact that the handprints were tiny little hands. Seriously, I would have had to go to therapy after that event because I am such a wimp about spooky things.

I hope you guys have a great Halloween! xo

Anonymous said...

That completely freaks me out girl! WOW!!

Kearsie said...

I'd love to write a comment but my arms are too covered in goosebumps.

Katherine said...

If it were me, I would have been too much of a wimp to even try to begin with.

Michelle said...

I am from San Antonio, and every year we go to the Haunted Tracks, put baby powder on the trunk and let the ghost push us over. :)

Lisa said...

I am not going to be able to sleep. Really.