Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The one in which I ponder having a mid-life crisis but quickly come to my senses...


 

I love this little old lady and I want to be her when I grow up. I've had it with society telling me that I should freak out because my 40th birthday is fast approaching. (In a year and a half, but whose counting?) 

Things are changing in my life. For one, we're done having babies and so that chapter of my life is coming to a close. I considered having a good old fashioned identity crisis over it but then I watched this video earlier this month and decided to stop all that madness.

I want to enjoy my life and the fact is that ageing is inevitable. I will shrink and get wrinkly. My kids will grow up and leave me. My hair will turn grey and all of these things will not define me. 

Who I am will stay the same. I will still laugh at inappropriate jokes. I will still wear flower pins in my hair. I will still do a little jiggle with my hips when I hear a Marvin Gay song. I will get my husband to rub Bengay on my sore spots and then keep on dancing. 

I won't be invisible and allow my spirit to slowly die inside of me.

So, thank you Dorothy Custer for being such a bad ass granny. You've set me free. From here on out I'm going to stop thinking about my age and I'm just gonna go on living and having a good time.

I might not jump off of a bridge, though. That's just plain crazy.



3 comments:

Linda D. said...

What a breath of fresh air! As someone who fondly remembers her 40th birthday, I have to admit I was inspired to look inside for the little girl who seeks adventure that still resides in me! No bridge jumping for me either.. but perhaps I'll go find that banana split I've been avoiding and not worry if it shows up on my hips!

BananaSaurusRex said...

YES!

Andrea said...

Be it identity or mid-life, I am desperately trying to get over the crisis!!!