Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 came in with a bang...


After dinner on New Year's Eve, 
we grabbed a box of fireworks
that had been nestled in a cabinet 
in my laundry room for 5 years,

"Why did we buy these and how did we not shoot them off until now?"
 was the question of the night.

Anyway, we all put on our coats
and ran outside.
It was only 6:30 pm 
but we decided that was as good
a time as any to celebrate the New Year.

Roger put on a fantastic show for us
as the boys and I sat on our front steps
and whooped and hollered 
as the fireworks whizzed, banged
and lit up the night sky.

Their sweet faces were illuminated 
with a red and golden flickering glow
and I knew that I was exactly where I wanted to be
to ring in the new year.

My life is pretty simple,
filled with little moments 
that explode in my heart.
It's filled with love
and laughter.

My goal is to enjoy 
every crazy moment that 
unfolds in my home.
To be present.
To enjoy my children.

If a loud sword fight 
is unleashed in my living room,
I will grab a sword and join in.

If I discover the boys in the bathroom
making a mess with "potions",
I will grab green food coloring
and baking soda and make some slime.

These moments are fleeting
and as we sat on our steps 
and watched the fireworks dance for us,
 I couldn't help but think
2014 is going to be a great year! 



1 comment:

UBERMOUTH said...

I love how you make the mundane exciting and treasure every moment of your children's growing up. So many children are taken for granted, them deemed a chore, that suddenly the kids are grown up and gone an only in hindsight the parent enjoys some memories,having been disconnected from their kids in 'real time.'